Sunday, August 29, 2010

Our weekend

Our weekend actually started on Thursday with dinner at Ja Ja's with Nana while Clay played some golf. He was planning to play with some friends on Friday morning and wanted to get in a little practice before. Little love and I decided that we would just head out to Collierville with him and have a fun dinner date. I noticed L starting to get hoarse during our 2 hour wait on dinner! Yes, I'm not kidding!! But, she was quite the trooper. Nana and I were prepared with crayons, coloring pages, and a new app on the iPhone with a fun game of memory. I was more than impressed with her patience during our long wait. Anyways, later that night, I thought she felt a little warm so when we got home I gave her some Motrin and put her to bed. On Friday, she acted like she felt fine and we just enjoyed a jammie day at home. We read books, played games and just lounged around in our PJ's all day. Friday night, Clay grilled out hamburgers and hot dogs and little love, although she loves hot dogs, wasn't really into eating anything. I could tell she just didn't feel like herself.

I put her down for bed around 8:00 and while Clay and I were watching some TV around 10:00 I heard her stir. She was crying and calling out for me and once I got in there she kept trying to tell me something was hurting her. I could barely understand her and she had a horrible cough that sounded like croup. I won't lie, for a minute there I was genuinely concerned. Clay asked me if I was worried about her because I guess he could sense it and I told him I was. She was burning up with fever so I quickly stripped her down, gave her some Motrin and a glass of milk. I guess that was the wrong combination because they both came back up pretty quickly during her next coughing fit. We were both covered in throw-up so Clay took over for me to change and get L some fresh clothes. I called up to work to ask them what they thought I should do and they agreed that I should go ahead and repeat the Motrin since she most likely didn't get any of it. Since I'm a PICU nurse I was concerned about her temp being almost 104 but I learned later that kids only have febrile seizures when their temperature either goes up or down too quickly, the degree of the fever isn't what matters. Anyways, since that is what I was initially concerned about, I was glad my fears were put to rest. After giving her a 2nd dose of Motrin, we sat on the couch to watch an episode of Dora since by this point she was wide awake from all we had done to her. After watching her episode of Dora, I got ready for bed and put her in bed with me. I slept with 1 hand on her for most of the night because I was so worried about her. She woke up a few times crying and just wanting to know where I was so I was glad I had slept with her. She was able to calm much better with me next to her then I think she would have otherwise.

On Saturday morning, I got up bright and early to get out the door to volunteer at the Forrest Spence 5K. I debated going but since she did well overnight and Clay was with her, I was comfortable going. I called the pediatrician first thing and got her an appointment. I met Clay there and although the waiting room was empty, we had to wait quite a while to see Dr. W. Once we saw him, I explained what had happened the night before and he wanted to do some blood work to make sure her WBC count was alright. She was such a trooper and didn't even flinch when they pricked her little finger. Her WBC count was great but since she was still so hoarse, he decided to give me a 3 day course of steroids. He also told me that if night #1 was like that then sometimes it will be worse the following afternoon or evening.

We stopped for pizza at Mellow Mushroom while we were out and made a quick run by Costco before heading to pick up her medicine and head home. By time we got home, L was spent and over tired. She was refusing to take her new medicine and I knew I needed to go ahead and give it to her since some steroids can make kids crazy and hyper. We had plans that evening and I wanted to make sure she went to sleep well for her Gigi and Poppy. We finally talked her into taking her new medicine with the help of band-aids, (we really should get stock in Johnson and Johnson). I put her in the bed with me since she had gotten so worked up again and it took her forever to go to sleep but then I ended up having to wake her up a little before 5:00.

Poppy and Gigi came over so Clay and I could go to a wedding for a long time friend of his and ended up taking my little love to Target to pick out a new toy and they picked me up some Tylenol and Motrin since I had depleted our stock at home. Clay and I had a great evening out although I called to check on her about a dozen times in the few hours we were out. I was so worried about her but after her nap she seemed to really have turned a corner. I was hoping the medicine was working.

One funny story, on the way into the wedding I was walking in a pair of heels that I have had since college and my foot got stuck in a crack and I broke my heels! I was so embarrassed and so sad because they were my favorite black shoes. I think it embarrassed Clay too and he kept telling me, "I have told you time and time again to get some new shoes!" Well, needless to say, I was able to make it into the wedding but we stopped after it was over at DSW to get me a new pair. Clay was so funny walking down the aisle trying to help me find a new pair by pulling out every pair he ran across that was a black heel. I finally found some and we were off to the reception. We didn't stay very long, bu decided instead to head to a local coffee shop and just enjoy each other's company. Upon arriving home our little love was sound asleep and just woke long enough to tell me about her new Dora toy she picked out and ask if I would rock her. Of course I did and I was so glad to see her back to her old self again.

We stayed home from church this morning, little love and I did, while Clay went to Sunday School. We enjoyed another day of lounging around in jammies while reading books, playing Candy Land, Memory and bugging Maggie. I had to work tonight and Clay is home with L. He said she went to sleep like a champ and is still coughing but it's definitely changed to a more productive cough than croupy in the last 24 hours so I am glad about that. I plan to send her to school tomorrow as long as she is still afebrile in the morning. I wasn't going to but since she hasn't had a temp since Saturday and croup is more of an airway inflammation and not contagious, I think I will go ahead and send her.

Even through the sickness, we had a great weekend as a family. Little love is such a trooper when she's sick and so cuddly that I can't help but enjoy the loving, sitting still in my arms time we had. :)

Oh yeah, and because I don't want to forget, all my little love weighed at the doctor's office was 22lb 4 oz.!! I for sure thought were heading more towards the 24lb. mark by now but I guess I was wrong.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

You are amazing. I can't believe you came and volunteered at the race when Lilliana was sick. I am sorry about that. Thank you though!