This past week our church hosted Crocodile Dock as out VBS theme. About a month ago I decided that I would volunteer to help with the toddler kids, those who were children of the workers, and boy did I have my hands full. Our team leader was Mrs. Christie and she is the Mother's Day Out director at our church so she was a huge help. There was also another lady helping named Kelly and between the 2 of us, I think we had a change of attitude towards the end. I was slap worn out everyday when it was time to leave and took a nap with Lilliana at least 4 out of the 5 days. The kids seemed to really have a great time, and overall it was a great experience. I will just maybe think twice before signing up for that age group again!
Lilliana seemed to enjoy herself and it gave me a small tast of what Parent's Day Out will be like for her in the fall. In one aspect it made me nervous, because I am so used to being able to keep an eye on her at all times. There really isn't a minute that goes by that I don't know where she is and what she is doing. That is hard though when there are multiple children and they are doing different activities. I would always get nervous when we were out on the playground that she would fall somehow and hurt herself. She did take a little tumble on the last day, face first down the slide when I took one of the kids in to use the bathroom.
Speaking of bathrooms, that brings me to my major breakthrough during the week. My fear of public bathrooms! Just recently our friend's the Mefford's just potty trained Wilson and I have had to take him to the potty a couple times for Amanda while we were out but that is about the extent of my toddler training. Well, this week I was definitely put to the test. We had kids aged 18 month's to 3 years old and it was pretty split down the middle with those who were potty trained and those who were not. I think on the first day I took at least 4 kids to the potty. I HATE public restrooms. I have never taken Lilliana into one, even to change her diaper and I have no idea what I am going to do when it comes time to potty train her. I think public restrooms are just so disgusting and rarely go when I am out myself. It was definitely a new awakening for me this week and I struggled on more than one occasion. Of course the kids wanted to touch the toilet seat and then flush the commode and then when it came to washing our hands there was no way they washed them adequately enough. I know it is something I am just going to have to get over when it comes time to potty train Lilliana but I am surely not going to rush things in that category.
The week did bring back some wonderful memories of my VBS days, way back when and Lilliana and I got a refresher on some old songs and learned a lot of new ones. Her newest favorites are "This Little Light of Mine" and "Deep and Wide". She is so funny and loves when we try to blow out her 'light'. She just laughs and laughs. She also loves to say the mmmm, in the second and third rounds of "Deep and Wide". I can't believe she is growing up so fast but I just love her so much and have more fun with her everyday.
I have continued to pray for all the decisions made this week at VBS and was so proud of all the kids for the money they raised for housing for the needy. These precious Kindergarten through 6th graders raised over $5,000.00! It was such a great week and I can't wait for Lilliana to be able to experience it for herself.
No comments:
Post a Comment