Sunday, July 26, 2009

The 5 Love Languages

I remember when Clay and I were doing premarital counseling going over this concept and reading a book together to determine what each other's love language was. His is physical touch and words of affirmation, while mine is act's of service and gift's. Seemed pretty easy at the time but it is actually a lot harder than it seems. I recall Bill Christian (the pastor who married us) telling me that we tend to speak the language we are and that is the difficult part. Clay is always good about telling me how much he loves me and whispering sweet nothings in my ear but to be honest, they just go in one side and out the other. I on the other hand, tend to buy thing's for Clay and attempt to keep the house neat, do his laundry and even iron when I get a wild hair to "show" him how much I love him. The problem is, we still tend to speak OUR love languages which kinda defeats the purpose. It is definitely something we still work on and something I think we will for a lifetime. Change is just so hard sometimes but I know it would be so worth it if I would just give in at times and speak his love language and vice versa.

I say all this because I am not sure what too young is to determine one's love language but at this point I feel Lilliana work's really well with "word's of affirmation". She is constantly, at random times telling me and her Dada, along with a few other special people, "love ew". It just melts my heart each time she does it. That is what made me begin to think about this whole process over again. Gary Chapman actually writes a book about "The 5 Love Languages For Kids." I am really interested in reading it and was wondering if anyone had done so before, and if so what you thought?

I did just finish a wonderful book called "Grace Based Parenting" with a bible study group here at a church around the corner from where we live. It was WONDERFUL! There were a lot of take home points and some when I thought, "that's not really something that I am going to stick with" but overall, it was great. That is the kind of parent I want to be. I want to be a Godly example for Lilliana and I want her to be able to look up to the marriage Clay and I have and want that same thing for herself one day. Do I always feel like I strive to do the best for my husband? Certainly not, and we definitely could benefit from doing another round of Gary Chapman's book for ourselves. There are definitely many areas to work on but I know with God as the center of our relationship we are in for the long haul!

No comments: