Thursday, April 30, 2009

Sick puppy

Since Monday morning my little love has been running a fever and just not feeling like her normal self. She's been a little more clingy, if that's a possibility, and has woken up during the night the last couple nights which is also not the norm. On Monday night I noticed that she had a little redness around her eyes but not really in the white of her eye. I had a feeling it was the start of pink eye but decided I would see what it looked like in the am before putting a call into Dr. K. When she woke up Tuesday morning I noticed her eye was a little more red and she still had a fever so I broke down and called Dr. K.'s office. Of course, they said I needed to come in although I was pretty sure she had pink eye but they told me they typically don't have a fever with it. I told the nurse that I knew they wouldn't do anything if it was just something viral to go along with the pink eye and that I really didn't want to make a trip in there with all those sick kiddos. Well, that didn't really get me anywhere and she sent me to the appointment desk. When I spoke with the secretary she told me she couldn't get me in until 3:15 which is right in the middle of Lilliana's nap time so I made the executive decision that we were going to wait this out a little while longer. I am sure I got the "Mom of the Year" award from her when I told her that I had changed my mind about making an appointment. She informed me that if the nurse thought I should come in I really should listen to her. I just told her I would call back in the am if she was still febrile.

Of course I had second thoughts once I hung up from her and decided to put in a call to one of my best friends who just happens to be a Pediatrician herself. I typically try not to bother Dr. A about these types of things because I know she deals with sick kids all day long but I also trusted her opinion so I just wanted to know what she thought about it all. I called her and explained Lilly's symptoms and she graciously offered to come over and check Lilly out so that I could avoid going into MCC. Once she got off work and was able to get over to our house, Lilly's left eye was much more red but also still febrile. Dr. A checked her ears and listened to her lungs and everything checked out ok. She said her left ear was a little red but not enough to treat at that time. Then it was on to the eyes, and of course what was it ... pink eye! I guess I should just trust my own judgement more often. I mean I do this for a living outside of caring for Lilly. Of course, I work in the PICU so we don't really take care of pink eye but it looked just like it. Thankfully, Dr. A called in some erythromycin ointment for sweet "L" and we started it that evening. It sure is nice to have great friends you can rely on.

Unfortunately the erythromycin was not a fix all and her fever continued until today. After speaking with Dr. A again we both agreed that since she still had a fever going on 4 days now that I should probably take her in. So off to see Dr. K and brave all those sick little kids, even with the threat of swine flu!! After arriving and noticing that the secretaries were playing with their surgical masks, I guess they had debated wearing I asked if we could sit outside in the hospital lobby and they obliged. Luckily we didn't have to wait long and "L" was really good, just sitting in my lap reading some books I had packed in her bag. After seeing Dr. G since Dr. K was booked she was now diagnosed with another middle ear infection, and given a prescription for some Amoxil.

Hopefully the Amoxil, in combination with the erythromycin she will be feeling better in no time. Although I am not so sure we are going to be going anywhere with a new probable case of swine flu just outside of Memphis. I do believe we will just become hermits again until this gets better under control!





No comments: