I have a goal of completing the St. Jude 1/2 marathon that takes place towards the end of the year. It is actually in December, which could be another problem considering how crazy cold it was last year during the race but, I still really want to run in it. There are a lot of girls from work that are doing it and we plan to try and run it together. I got the idea in my head last year around the time of the race but assumed that I would be further along in the mileage by this point. I know I'm not really behind, but I just don't want to have to work extra hard in the couple month's before the race since I put it off. At this point 6 miles is about my limit. One problem is that I am easily bored. I think if I was training with someone else, hint hint to anyone that lives here and wants to run with me :) Another problem, is that I ALWAYS run on the treadmill at the gym. It's really hot here in Memphis and in order to run that far it is taking me about an hour. Clay doesn't feel comfortable with me running too late at night and after Lilly goes to bed I only have about 1-2 hours of day light left. I know I need to be training outside since you really must get used to the elements along with the difference of pavement on your body.
Well, I posting this for 2 reasons. One is so that maybe this will be more motivation for me. Maybe since I have it 'written' down I will feel like I have to stick to my plan more than if it wasn't. All of you in the blog world will know if I don't complete my goal, and since at this time there really isn't a good excuse not to (baring any injuries) hopefully this will help move me along. The other reason I decided to post this is because I did get some great motivation today. I finally purchased a jogging stroller!! I am so excited. I didn't get an expensive one, just a Baby Trend brand one from Target but I figure at this point, since Lilliana is 18 month's and we do hope to have more than 1 child at some point, I didn't want to spend much for a single jogger. It got great reviews and we actually went on our first jog today, just around the block, after I put it together. Lilliana seems to love it and she kept asking to go for another "roll" or stroll. :) It has a cup holder for her and I noticed her just pick up her water cup while I was jogging and she didn't miss a beat. I love that it has the front wheel that you can either lock or allow to swivel and it has a cup holder for me too. I did notice my water bottle fly out a couple times when we went over some big bumps but our sidewalks aren't the best around here so I wasn't surprised. Maybe one day I will own one of those amazing Phil and Ted jogger's but for the mean time this is going to work just fine. Now I can train with my little love in tow. What more motivation do I need than that!!
2 comments:
Yep, you can do it! I ran in the Knoxville 1st ever marathon (I ran the half) and would definitely recommend it. I hadn't run in 2 weeks before the race (because we got married 2 weeks before it) and still did it. We ran 6 miles mostly and a few times we did 10. We never ran a full 13.1 miles before race day. They say if you are consistent with 6, you can run the half. So, you're well on your way. The cool weather will make for a better run. I did do some pilates and aerobic classes too and think that helped. I jog with Ellison and she loves it. I kinda don't like running without her now. If I lived in C'ville or Memphis, I'd run with you...but I'm in East TN. Good luck and keep up the good work.
You can totally do it! My neighbor and I workout every Monday with a trainer, and she did it last December...she is almost 40 and has never run in her life. I was going to do it but with having Will in September I just didn't have time to train. I love my jogger---it's a baby trend also but I got mine on Craigslist for $35 because of the same reason, I didn't want to spend too much because we want to have more kids eventually. Anyway, the rug is Restoration Hardware! Who I hate because they are so overpriced but this was on sale for $150, i think it is an 8x12. It's an indoor/outdoor rug, so its not the softest thing ever, but it cleans well.
Post a Comment