Monday, April 21, 2008

Bottle Battle

Lately Clay and I have been trying to introduce the bottle to Lilliana and so far things are not going so well. Last week she took 2 ounces from the bottle and then went to sleep and did not wake up until 7:00 am. I thought at that point that we had crossed a line and that she would begin to take it without a problem. Well, was I wrong. For the last couple nights Clay has tried to put her down with her bottle and all she does is scream. It is very stressful for all of us because on a normal basis we don't allow Lilliana to cry much so that makes it much harder. Each time after Clay trying I have gone into her room and nursed her and then she goes straight to bed. The reason we are working so hard on this is that I have to start back to work no later than May 8th which is slightly more than 2 weeks away. I am only going back PRN which consists of a minimum of 2 shifts per month and I plan to do the minimum. I plan to go back to night shift so that Lilliana will hopefully be asleep most of the time that I am gone. I would like to wait another few months to go back but when I filled out my leave paperwork I put the date of May 9th as my return date (as it was 4 month's from Lilliana due date) and that is the max amount of time I can take off without having to reapply for my job. Even though I am getting to the point that, that may be easier. Even though it is only 2 nights a month I am sooo not ready to go back. I just can't imagine leaving Lilliana for that long. I know, I know she should be asleep the whole time I am gone but I just worry that she will wake up in the middle of the night and either Clay won't hear her or that she will cry because I am not there. There have been many times that she only want's me and does not want anything to with Clay. I guess all I can do is pray that the night I am gone she will sleep like she never has before :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went through this. The Only bottle Avery would take was the Playtex kind with the disposable liners. Its the closest to human. I too only work PRN to this day and she is now almost 9 months old.
You will do fine Melody. It is hard leaving your baby. If I may offer advice, over the next 2 weeks refine the bedtime routine and that way you can talk it out with clay. And while you are gone if he does everything to a "T" and keeps her on her routine, she will be fine. It worked for us.
I have actually found that she sometimes does better when I am not there.....go figure. Its not until she sees me that she wants me....haha!
Good luck girl, thinking of you.
Ps. I check this site alot to keep up with all the changes lilliana is making, she is more beautiful everyday, she looks like the two of you combined. Just Precious.
HUGS, Beverly

TulipGirl said...

I remember looking in the mirror and crying and crying when my oldest was 6 weeks old--not because I had to return to work, but because so many other mothers need to at 6 weeks and I just couldn't imagine leaving my baby that soon! (And when I did return to work, I had a job that allowed me to take the baby with me. . .)

About the bottle. . . these things have a way of working themselves out. Really, they do.