Well, this past weekend, I switched my shifts around a little bit and decided to work Saturday and Sunday night in a row instead of my normal schedule. We have a nurse that is out because of her little boy being sick so we have been short staffed on Saturday nights. Well anyways, doing the 2 shifts in a row made me much more tired this morning and I just knew I wasn't going to have a bit of trouble sleeping with Little Love was at school.
There was some snow predicted for our area and by time I was leaving work, it had already begun to sleet and rain some. Upon arriving home, I check the news and at that point, all the schools were still in session. We kinda freak out around here in the South with any amount of snow accumulation or even possibility of it. Well, I told Clay that he needed to make sure he wrote down his phone number on the check-in sheet for Little Love because I was super tired and wasn't sure I would hear the phone if they were to close school early.
Around 11:00, I woke up because Little Man was starting to stir and I tried calling Clay on his cell. There wasn't an answer. I had an initial thought of fear rush through my mind because he had said he would come home after dropping off Little Love at school so that I could get some good sleep. I got out of the bed and come to find out, he was sitting on the couch doing some work for school. I asked him where his phone was and he said he had left it in the car but he would get it. I left Little Man with him and headed back to bed. I remember my phone ringing around 12:45 and it was my mom but I wasn't sure why she was calling me because she is usually super respectful and doesn't call when she knows I'm sleeping. I figured she had possibly forgotten and just sent her to voicemail and quickly fell back asleep. The phone rang again almost an hour later and it was her again. I got frustrated and answered in my continued state of exhaustion and she informed me that Little Love's school had been calling Clay and I for the past hour because school had let out early and they were waiting on me to get her! I flew out of the bed and unfortunately Mom had already had to leave form work to go get her but I met her just down the way to load Little Love up into my car and get us both home safely.
I couldn't believe they closed early because there wasn't a bit of snow on the ground when I woke up. I guess it was just the initial threat that caused them to make the rash decision. Well, that was my drama for the day. I just cried and cried, emailed Little Love's teacher to apologize and just couldn't believe she had been sitting up at that school as the last little girl waiting on her Mommy. Of course, her precious little heart couldn't figure out why I was crying and told me, "Mommy, don't cry, I was just playing with my friends." She had no idea what really had happened.
Bless her little heart and mine for that matter, I can guarantee there wont be any future nominations for Mom of the Year over here. I can also promise you it will be the last time I fall asleep with my phone on silent!!
No comments:
Post a Comment