Monday, March 14, 2011

Sacrifice

Although we as Southern Baptist's don't typically celebrate Lent, Clay and I decided that this year we wanted to take the meaning behind the concept of Lent and give something up during the next 40 days. Yes, we have actually been doing this since last Wednesday I just haven't had time to blog about it. :)

I decided that I was going to completely give up my time on Facebook. Now that I read that statement, I feel like I made it have more meaning than it really does. If you remember, at the first of the year, I vowed to not get on as much and waste my time as frequently as I had been but I still felt that during my spare time, I would click on the little app on my iPhone. Well, all it took was deleting that little app and it has made all the difference in the world. I felt that I would catch myself playing with Little Love or giving the kids a bath and clicking on that silly little app and missing the little things in life. I know it may sound cliche but they are only little for such a short period of time and I don't want to look back and wish I had done more with my time. I actually can say that almost 1 week in and I haven't even felt I am missing out on anything. Why does this feel so silly for me to write out? I guess it's because although it is one of the simplest things to do, I really felt that I was wasting a lot of time wondering what other people were doing throughout the day when my number 1 priority was right in front of my face.

I recently started another new book for my bible study and this one is a lot more time consuming than the last so I just don't want to have any interruptions or excuses for not getting my studies done each week.

As far as Clay goes, he is giving up something maybe a little more meaningful to him. It may also be silly to some but he has decided that he won't turn the television on until the kids go to bed. A lot of times he would come in and sit on the couch and watch TV to unwind, all the while, Little Love is jumping all over him and asking him to twirl her around. After suggesting this possibility for Lent, he agreed that it is one of his biggest areas he needs to work on. Although he would love to just sit when he gets home, his kids and even the dog want to see him and play with him and not worry about interrupting him watching mindless television.

I am glad that we both decided to take this dare together because we are able to keep each other accountable and we have really enjoyed more family time in the evenings. I actually can't wait for the remainder of the week because it is supposed to be so gorgeous here and I think we are going to take advantage of daylight savings time and the warmer weather to take some walks to the park.

2 comments:

Cassie & Joey said...

That's really awesome Melody, it's not silly I know exactly what you mean I may have to give it a try just bc! And y'all live so close send me a text if y'all want any park friends :)

Lauren said...

Totally agree with you and Cassie. I'm so guilty of the same thing and need to make a vow to work on it!