Monday, March 14, 2011

Cloth Diapering

I have had lots of quesitons about which cloth diapers I use and the reasons I chose to cloth diaper Little Man, so I thought I would just do a post about it. There are many reasons why I chose to cloth diaper Little Man and I will try to cover them all. First of all, Little Love had super sensitive skin and I had lots of trouble finding diapers and creams that didn't irritate her little skin. We didn't struggle so much with diaper rashes per say, but just irritation and redness. I was trying to avoid that battle with Little Man and see if I could just nip that in the bud before it even started. Secondly, the cloth diaper has come a long way in the last 25 years. There are many different styles and fits out there and they are really super cute!! Lastly, I was trying to save some money. When I added up the amount of money we spent diapering Little Love I was astonished, and she was potty trained before she was 2!! The initial purchase of diapers set me back about $150.00 but otherwise, I have only spent a small percentage of what I had spent with Little Love at this point. I will say that my water bill may be a bit higher but I tend to be a laundry Queen and I like an empty basket so on a normal day I would do at least 1 if not 2 loads of laundry before I began laudering cloth diapers.

The kinds I chose to use with Little Man are; BumGenius 3.0, Kissaluv Hybrids, G-Diapers, and Kissaluv Contours. I have a few friends at work that also cloth diaper and one of them has a little boy that is about 6 month's older than Little Man so I have borrowed quite a few of her diapers to use. That of course, has saved me a fortune!!

If I had to choose a favorite, I would have to say I LOVE the ease of the BumGenius diapers. The only negative is that they are super an all in one or AIO in cloth diapering lingo and they take a lot longer to dry than the others. The G-diapers are probably my second favorite also because of ease and the choice that you have when using them. They are a hybrid diaper and you are abel to stuff them with either a cloth liner or a disposable one when you are out. I love that option. The Kissaluvs are great too but they just require 1 extra step in a cover and using a snappi to close them. I wasn't a huge fan in the beginning but now that I have been doing it for 4 month's I am much more comfortable and I really don't have any complaints.

For covers, I use either Thirstie's ones or Blueberry brad one's.

I actually can't wait for summer time because then I will be able to hang my diapers outside in the sun to dry. That should definitely be a money saver because I won't have to run the dryer and they will get bleached by the sun.

I haven't had a single problem with Little Man's skin so far and although Clay was a little reluctant at first, as long as they are ready to go, he will continue to use them on the weekends when I'm at work. I have actually really enjoyed learing all the ins and outs to diapering the "old fashioned" way and along the way I have had a lot of support and learned a lot from others who cloth.

No comments: